Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude


I can’t finish this book. 90 pages has taken nearly a month. Every paragraph I read is a jumble of words that I derive no meaning out of. It is frustrating on two accounts. One for the fact that it is considered a classic and definitive example of magical realism and the Latin American boom in the 60s and 70s. I want to be able to better understand this culture, to just try to attempt to see how they interpret the world around them. Instead, I find a muddled composition that takes no time to develop any true meaning or connections between the characters. It’s necessarily a fragmented story (despite its non-linearity) but rather the jumpiness doesn’t lead me to care about or empathize with anyone. 

Second, I hate not being able to finish books. It shouldn’t matter. If an album or movie is boring, I’ll turn it off, but I still hold literature in such a high regard. I’m Jack in The Designated Mourner, you know, before he shit on all of his books. I’ve only done this with one other book: Catch-22. Granted, I was still in high school, just figuring out my place in the literary world and what interests me, but that one bored me to no end. It’s something I may be able to give another chance further down the road though. 100 Years of Solitude however…do I just have to admit I only like white, male authors? Not to infer I’m racist or sexist, and especially not on any conscious level, but for every Beloved I read there are fifty Tropic of Cancers that are as compelling to me. I’m not gonna bemoan the fact that I was granted the most privileged birthright possible in our society (white, straight, male), but I hate to admit the limitations that come with the territory. 

So how should I react? Have I just not tried enough? Marquez doesn’t speak for all Latin American culture. And The Savage Detectives is one of my favorite novels. Although I certainly could live my whole life and never leave the realm of those white, male authors that I will surely feel most comfortable reading, or at the very least, ‘get.’ But I do like curveballs. I like being confused sometimes. I want to read something and think ‘what the fuck?’ Just as I want to listen to something that I’ve never listened to before and watch something through a new perspective. Murakami is on my to-read list but I might have to rock some more Sedaris first. Maybe it’s just a summer thing and I feel more open to reading in the fall, the last leaves in the trees rustling outside my window, the streetlights turning on earlier and better concentration through evening coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment