Monday, June 20, 2011

06.18.11

My Saturday night recounted by three letters.

Dear Rooftop, 

You let me touch the sky. You let me look down on fellow urbanites with contempt, with an air of superiority, if you will. A friend calls from one of the six corners and I look down on him. Our cell phones are modern walkie-talkies    over. The train roars nearby and will soon deescalate underground. And we get higher. 

There is not a bad Rooftop in the city. The concept can never get tiresome. Every Rooftop is the same as any Rooftop you’ve ever been on; every Rooftop is entirely different from any Rooftop you’ve ever been on. A roof hop would be tops; a flower pot for luck. Would I could have stayed the night, but to a new Odyssey I was destined. 

Love, 


The Earth Program







Dear Girl, 

I don’t want to dance with you. Ok? I’m trying to figure out what the fuck this guy is doing on stage. It’s mesmerizing. It’s brilliant. I feel a tinge of anxiety that I’m not going to write about this for another blog, one with a greater readership. Normally you would see me with pen and paper, scrawling in the dark, hoping it’s legible enough to read later that night. Instead I’m watching, observing, consuming. I’ll blame my white maleness for my reluctance to dancing. Yes, you’re sort of cute. But I’ve got keys in my pocket so increasing libations is out of the question. You should have seen me when Andy Rourke DJed. He dropped ‘Should I Stay or Should I Go;’ I stayed to dance, but then everyone else left. So I left: I don’t dance

Find me a kitchen at three in the morning with some Swedish Balearic pop and a ceiling fan. I’ll eat my words.

Best,



Yourself and the Air


Dear VFW, 

What happened? You reeled me in with your three dollar Jameson / Cokes, of which now I know is mostly Coke. I’m growing annoyed by the painstakingly penetrating cigarette smoke. I liked knowing you when I thought no one else did. And now everybody knows you. Have I changed or did I just see you with new eyes? 

It’s for the best I never see you in the daylight. It’s for the best that I leave you as my booty-call bar: I’ll only come over when irresponsibly drunk.
Which unfortunately will still be often. 

Yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment